Monday, January 09, 2006

Jidiots

Well, I didn't win that contest. Really disappointing, too. I thought I had a pretty legitimate shot to win, and the only other person I though that had a shot (Izzy, the "tattoo girl") didn't win either. What bummed me out is that I waited around after 11:00am when the contest ended like a total nerd, because I knew the winner had to go pick up the ticket by 7:00pm. After hearing nothing, and nothing being posted on the blog until 5:00pm, I decided to comment asking what's up. Turns out, a winner had been secretly chosen and notified, and that we'll find out who it is when the report is posted after the event. Laaaame. Well at least I'm still seeing that awesome concert tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it was this contest or what, but my blog has been getting tremendous traffic lately. First off, I noticed that I was getting a bunch of hits from a blog called Hawkeye Nate. It didn't strike me as anything unusual at first, because Blogspot randomly throws users to others' blogs if you click a certain link. But I was getting more than just one or two hits from this guy, so I went over to check it out, and was pleasantly surprised to find this. Thanks, Hawkeye Nate, I think you're pretty grand too!

Unfortunately, not everyone in the blogosphere loves me these days. I also noticed I was getting a bunch of hits from this blog. I found her January 6th entry and was fucking floored by this thing. Apparently, one of the members of her improv group was Googling themselves, and they found a year-old thread on the Improv Resource Center message board. The entire thread is accessible here where I evidently criticized her improv group, Northampton's Villa Jidiots. I have no recollection of saying those things OR seeing this improv group asit must have happened so long ago. I don't even think I've seen the group, I think I had only been familiar with the name and confused them with a group from Hampshire College. Nevertheless, this woman is very offended and hurt by this incident (which, I reiterate, happened so long ago I don't even remember it). I honestly can't tell how much of her entry is in jest or if it's all genuine anger. Does she get that they were mentioned initially as a joke? I showed Susannah this thing, and she responded back to me saying she had sent an apology to this woman. Another post appeared on her blog today updating the situation and acknowledging that she had received an e-mail from Susannah, yet continues to berate me (probably because I chose not to send her an e-mail) and even asks me to "stop keeping score." Wow. I didn't send her an e-mail, because I really didn't know what to say. I don't even know how to apologize for something like this, besides explaining the situation from my point of view. I mean, I don't even remember this! Apparently, Mission: IMPROVable, the short-form group linked to IWA (the group I'm involved with), has a rapport with the Jidiots that goes back many years. It was never my intention to cause any break in that relationship. Serious blogging drama right here. Quite honestly, though, I feel like you're over-reacting just a tad. "This is war?" Please. And I promise, I'm not keeping score. I encourage the Jidiots to maintain their relationship with Mission, and not base the entire improv scene at UMass on some silly and offensive remarks I made a year ago. I have sent an e-mail to Kelsey Flynn, the author of the "Some Girl" blog, including my phone number so she can call me to discuss this whole ordeal. I just feel like this has been blown out of proportion so much, it's ridiculous.

Don't worry, Hawkeye Nate, I still think you're grand.

3 Comments:

At 1/11/2006 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the polite phone calls.

Start with some mud wrestling.

Now I'm THINKING about seeing the Village Jidiot People. Gotta judge for myself. Are they as putrid as everyone says ...or as terrific as they think they are? Buddy, that Flynn Lady with the fancy blog, she should thank you profusely - her blog was a snooze until you came along.

"There is no such thing as bad publicity."

 
At 1/11/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Zach said...

Thanks? Who ARE you, Anonny?

 
At 1/13/2006 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a citizen of the Internet and a casual observer. I don’t know you or the Flynn Lady. Ain’t the Internet Grand?

Here’s my casual observation – if a bunch of chatty college kiddies can make Missy Flynn go blog crazy-mental-in-public, then she must be feeling incredibly insecure about her talent(s).

BTW is she famous for doing anything other than trying rip the heads off future marginally employed or unemployed college graduates?

Does she eat small pets, for example?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home